Can I claim depreciation on an old property?

It is a common misconception that existing properties do not yield any worthwhile depreciation. At Duo Tax, we are actively educating investors on the relevant laws and tax deductions available within investment properties and find that the above is not always the case. The ATO allows you to claim building depreciation (division 43 – capital works) on all residential investment properties built after September 1987. If built before 1987, there still is a chance to claim depreciation if the property was renovated after 1992. The plant & equipment (division 40) is only claimable on older properties if you purchased the property before the 9th of May 2017 and rented it before 1st of July 2017. You can use our calculator to receive a rough estimate on how much you can receive if you are able.

Depreciation Calculator


Back to FAQs